October 10: Thanks-skating
The cranberries are picked, the toferky is stuffed, the yams are yamming, and itâ€™s time to take stock and give thanks. (Warning: cheesy listicle ahead) Here are a few reasons why Iâ€™m thanking for the awesome Raw Meat community:
- Roller skating is super fun. All the skaters who come out each week to learn to roller skate give me a reason to get out on eight wheels and play for a couple of hours each week.
- Raw Meat is full of great people. Our key rule is: â€œdonâ€™t be an asshat,â€ but our skaters transcend that rule. You are all genuinely nice people, and itâ€™s a privilege to know all of you.
- Itâ€™s amazing to see what the human body can do. At Raw Meat, Iâ€™ve seen people go from hugging the wall to becoming all-star derby champions. Iâ€™ve seen skaters who canâ€™t skate but who can dance on toe stops, people nail 360 jumps their first few times on skates, and so much more. People of all sizes, shapes, ages and abilities have skated at Raw Meat, and itâ€™s awesome.
- Learning is fun. Raw Meat is all about learning new skills, and itâ€™s awesome. Thereâ€™s always a new trick to learn on skates. Thereâ€™s also always something to learn from new skaters. Everyone who comes to Raw Meat applies their own skills and personality to the job of learning to skate, and Iâ€™ve learned something from all of you.
- Play is magical. Someone said, â€œYou donâ€™t stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.â€ If thatâ€™s true, then Raw Meat is like Neverland. You just havenâ€™t lived until youâ€™ve seen a room full of â€œadultsâ€ skitter around on roller skates, trying to pick up gummy worms. Seriously, you have to see it for yourself.
In short, Iâ€™m very thankful for all the awesome people who make Raw Meat what it is.
This Saturday, please join our special guest coach Percy Riot to have some fun on roller skates, and work up an appetite for extra pie. Have friends and family visiting? Bring them too! Now that Rollergirl (185 East 11th at Main) rents equipment, they have no excuse not to join you.
At Raw Meat, youâ€™ll learn a variety of basic roller skating skills, including stops, falls, jumps, agility, pace lines, weaving, fancy footwork, and more. All of these skills will come in handy if you want to play roller derby one day, or if you just want to tackle the seawall in style.
To skate at Raw Meat, youâ€™ll need: roller skates, helmet, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads and a mouth guard. Skates must have white or light, non-marking toe stops, and black knee pads need to be covered with vertical strips of white tape or felt. Sessions are $7.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! See you soon!